Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jailbreaking the Iphone

I love my iPhone and the last thing I thought I would do would be to Jailbreak the iPhone. I wasn't even sure what it really meant. However my computer lost my itunes library for the second time in a row which left me totally unprepared without any kind of backup (it's a long story). I am so tired of rebuilding my itunes library and fiddling with the stuff that would be so much easier without all this 'protection'. I'm certain I have lost several games and music purchases. But what really gets me is loosing my app data. All those wasted hours on games with accomplishments I'm certain I will not be able to do again are very important to me. Ohh yeah, I've had to fill in data a couple of times into mSecure and I sure don't want to do that again either.

Well it turns out there is an easy way to backup your app data. But it's only available in Jailbreak land. It's called Chronos. Why apple doesn't provide some means of backing up just app data is beyond me. A full restore can be destructive to certain things when all you need is to backup your app data, sync with a new itunes library, and restore app data. There are other great improvements available for Jailbroken iphones which I may explore in a future post.

The amazing thing for Jail Breaking the iphone is it is surprisingly easy and very low risk. Simply download the utility. Plug in your Iphone, and click one button. As far as risk, Jailbreaking doesn't modify the phone, it just gives you a means to install new applications. The applications you choose to install would bear the risk, much like installing applications on your computer. In the worse case scenario, you would have to restore the iPhone, but very few have had that issue.

If you want to learn more, post a comment and I'll try to write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment