Monday, February 15, 2010

How to clean up Google Chrome on Ubuntu 9.10

If you saw my post yesterday you will know I wasn't happy about the 39 new packages Google Chrome decided to install. I have a command that will clean the mess up for most ubuntu desktop systems.


sudo apt-get autoremove bsd-mailx g++-4.4 dpkg-dev

  • dpkg-dev gets rid of the bulk (30+ packages) including alien, rpm and QT.
  • bsd-mailx gets rid of the mail server stuff like postfix
  • g++-4.4 cleans up one or two odds and ends. 

Make sure you don't actually use any of these packages. If you do, adjust the command to just get rid of what you don't need.


I went through all the packages that were installed and this command takes them all out plus Google Chrome itself.

No more open ports for my desktop system. Just the way I like it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you install Chrome or Chromium ? I didn't have any updates with Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have figured out that I installed the unstable build of chrome. But that doesn't mean anything as this change will eventually be in the stable build.

    My suggestion, uninstall now before it happens to you.

    ReplyDelete