Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'd like to share my annoyance with Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a superb replacement for windows. The hardest part about using a new system though is getting used to it's quirks. Windows has a ton of quirks but we've all had it for so long we are used to them. So I use Ubuntu on a daily basis and I'm used to the quirks, there aren't that many. When I am forced to use windows (@ work) the quirks I was once used to and accepted now annoy me more than anything Ubuntu may put me through.

So to say the least, I'm not giving up Ubuntu, but just sharing some of the what to expect.

I use an internal USB card reader to get my digital files off my camera and into the computer. A few days ago I had several memory cards to copy. I got through the first one, right clicked on the card and chose eject. On to the next one, when finished I ejected it too. On the last card my mouse slipped and I clicked 'Safely Remove Hardware'. Wow, this 50 pixel slip caused the entire card reader to be removed from the system. The only way to recover after this is a REBOOT.

It seems that this 'Safely Remove' Option was added here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/404185

Now it's causing more bug reports to show up:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/525190
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/504440

I don't see the point in allowing the entire reader to be disconnected. I mean there is no data to loose on a reader. The original solution seems to be about making ipod and kindle users happy. They also seem to be focused on determining if the drive/reader is internal or external as a solution. Even if it was external, I wouldn't want to unplug and replug the reader every time I switched cards.

A suggested solution (perhaps easier said then done).
Have a single Eject option. Don't completely remove the hardware/reader from the USB bus. However allow devices to be identified in the USB manager or nautilis to be flagged as 'Remove Completely' on a user preference basis. And automatically flag the kindle and the ipods, but still allow the user to unselect this as the option later for these devices. Any flagged device should then be completely removed when 'Ejected'. Then the majority of devices are simply unmounted without causing the user a lot of pain.

Well, that's my Ubuntu pain of the month. Surprisingly while trying to find the solution, I came across windows users with a similar problem. It surprised me to find windows problems in the first page of google results although I included 'Ubuntu' as a keyword.

No comments:

Post a Comment