Thursday, January 28, 2010

Security Camera Recommendations

There have been some break-ins in a few neighborhoods around my house. Mostly just smash and grabs with stuff left in cars. My Wife had her ipod stolen and a dvd player two years ago, so I have been personally affected.

Since then I have been on the look out for outdoor security cameras which have a decent image at night and don't cost a fortune. I've not been happy with many of the options I have found but after quite a bit of research I have narrowed it down to two cameras.

Both cameras are capable for outdoors. Both can perform at night. Though the Panasonic may need SOME light from a porch light.

Panasonic bb-hcm531
Offers Pan/Tilt controls.
Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
Must buy a PoE adapter or switch
Sample Images: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000P7X438/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1


Y-Cam Black - $269 or $999 for 4
http://www.y-cam.com/y-cam-black
Wireless networking, just need power.
No Pan/Tilt. Its fixed
IR LED for night illumination
Must buy outdoor housing for $99 more per camera.
Sample Live Camera here: http://ycam3.dtdns.net:8150/en/login.asp
Login is guest Password guest


At this point I don't see the need for pan tilt because once it's set there should be little reason to move it. I've looked for other options but with the low light requirement and outdoor mounting you can't get much better image wise without spending at least $1200.

The cameras can serve the video themselves over the internet, but I'm going to try to use ZoneMinder. A free security application which can control multiple cameras.

As of now, I'm going to buy the Y-Cam Black because it seems to be easier to install and has a true night vision mode. The pan and tilt just isn't that important for what I need. To install the Y-Cam properly you should run the power cable through the soffet(sp) and in the attic run an outlet from the nearest junction box. I'm thinking of avoiding ladders and just mounting it outside a window and run the power through the window. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment