Saturday, March 5, 2011

Schlage Link iphone controlled door locks with z-wave

I purchased the Schlage Link locks from Amazon so I can have better control of people with access to the house. Normally I would give the neighbor a key, my sister a key, my mom a key, the repairman, etc. All of these keys and no control of who copies them, who looses them, etc. In addition, even with all of these keys floating around, I still lock myself out.

Schlage makes a few doorlocks with number pads. I originally bought the model from home depot which handles all the situations above. It costs about $100 and you can assign up to 19 four digit codes. Thats about all it will do. The other benefit of this type of lock is once the door is shut, it's locked. There is no forgetting to lock the door or risk of someone trying to follow you in the house.

However I decided if I'm going to spend $100, I may as well go all the way and get better features. Schlage Link Locks operate identically to the lock above. However, the added feature is the locks can join a home automation network using Z-Wave. Schlage trys to sell you their automation solution but it has a $12 monthly cost and it's actually not compatable with all the neat z-wave products available. The product I have found is called Vera by Mi Casa Verde. It's more of an open solution which promises to not force a vendor lock in. You can use the locks without the Vera. Schlage doesn't include the stand-alone programming instructions, but I had a copy of them from the original locks. All the manual programming worked just fine. Then when you get the Vera you can use the automation.

Some of the great features which are possible:
  • Adding and removing codes remotely
  • Unlocking, locking, and checking the status of the doors remotely (The Schlage deadbolt isn't motorized)
  • Getting (email, sms) alerts when certain codes are used.
  • Seeing a history of lock usage (who came in and when)

The Vera supports macros so I have the Vera turn on lights when the code is entered and turn off the lights when I leave or go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I purchased the Schlage Link locks from Amazon so I can have better control of people with access to the house. Normally I would give the ... schlagezwave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete