Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mini-server follow-up.

I got my mini server together and everything is working right. I noticed the motherboard had a capacitor that obviously struck the heatsink and I worried that the board may have been DOA. I decided to try it anyways and luckily it all worked.

The Rosewill case I ordered from newegg is nice. It is very cramped after getting it all in there but it fits. I realized Rosewill designed the case to easily accept a 2.5" harddrive as well and I would recommend that instead of the 3.5" WD Blue. The Blue drive is wonderful and cool, but it just makes this case that much more tight. The only gripe I have about the case is the CD rom bay is uncovered. If you don't put in a CD, when you push the front latch you will be greeted with a big hole in your case.

Power. One of the reasons I wanted the smaller computer was to save power over the old computer. The old computer was a Dell Dimension E520 (Intel Core 2 Duo, etc). The Dell is nice except it is huge and it sucks some power. According to my killawatt the dell sucked 90 watts at peak, and 65 watts idle. The new computer sucks 30-35 watts consistently. I was surprised actually by the low wattage of the dell. But I still have a savings and a lot more space!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment